Patricia Green

Friday 18 January 2013

Woodblocks instead of cobbles

I will just put up some more images from the studio which show the latest prints.


 
Yellow Pipe No 2
 
 
 
Yellow Pipes
 
 
The Desk
 
Des MacMahon gave us an assignment for the weekend which he illustrated by showing what last years electives had done as a one day project:
 
 
 
 
These were a standard size print which everyone did on the brief. However, our assignment is slightly different : we'll be given two woodblocks and the task is to produce a black on grey print from a section of one of the prints already done. This morning and over the weekend we are to produce three drawings in marker one of which is to be worked over the course of Monday. I'll put my sketches up on Sunday (after I return from Munster's qualifying win in Thomond Park, of course).

 
Lets go back to the research. I was talking about W S Hayter (and I printed some images from a book about him for my contextual notebook,today). Two other artists influenced by him were Tinca Stegovec and Mauricio Lasansky. I focused on these because they were unknown to me and on seeking out their work I would have to say I was very impressed:
 
 



 

 
 
 
I have no titles or dates unfortunately as these have all come from sites in Slovenian
 
Tinca Stegovec was born in Slovenia in 1927 and in 1963 she went to Paris on a scholarship where she worked in Prof Hayter's Atelier 17.
 
Mauricicio Lasansky (1914 -2012) was born in Buenos Aires but passed most of his life in the US:
 
 
 
 
Apocalyptical Space -1944
El Cardenal -1964

 
Above: Late Portrait of Einstein -1994
Below: Emilio Zapata and Diego Bolivar Our Grandchildren  -1996
 
Now, at the risk of being totally tedious I just have to repeat that I am still being astonished at the range of work covered by print and equally at the number of amazing print artists I have never come across before.
I should just mention here that I have put quite a lot of material into my contextual notebook that would be easier perused there than here.
 
Even on a Friday..........
 
Public Print
 






 

No comments:

Post a Comment