Patricia Green

Sunday 27 January 2013

Squalls on the path

Just to briefly pursue the last theme of winter trees, we were out walking this morning as as we got home another squally shower blew in with its boiling edges and the trees black against the grey.





While those who know my interests might be surprised at these,  so much of what we do originates in such elemental images; I believe  that in CCS we will soon be covering Romantic landscape art and there is much there that I have always liked, particularly Turner ( as any of my readers will know) but also C. D. Friedrich about whom I acquired a large book some years ago. Perhaps you can see now where I am going with these pictures. They become a starting point for an infinite number of possible journeys.

On my travels yesterday I was marooned in Whitewater shopping centre (if you value your sanity, don't.....) without pencil, pad or book so I bought Art Review (Issue 65) and have been working my way through it. One particularly intriguing piece from Berlin by Astrid Mania is called 'Who's setting the art agenda' and concerns the balance between commercial galleries and art institutions; the premise is that now the latter are being led by the former and are attempting to be cool or as she says: 'Everything has to be so now, so wow'.
I'm sure this should be in the library - good read, especially for those going to Berlin.

Okay - tomorrow I start a new elective - painting - and have received the introductory sheet; one of the instructions was to have five objects no smaller than my head and in my case coloured orange. Well, I mobilised various members of my extended family and that is done, in fact overdone!
Now the hard part  - two images from contemporary artists which I must discuss - so many. I think a good source will be Art Now 3 and I will tell you tomorrow who it was and what I thought....and maybe some pictures.

A treat for all you lucky people


Public Print

 
 
I hope you have been paying attention and you know where we are...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment