Patricia Green

Wednesday 30 January 2013

The Romantic Path

Don't get the wrong idea...

CCS today  - two great lectures on Romantic art - an overview from Susan Halvey delivered with passion and enthusiasm; a close reading of the Romantic landscape in the persona of Caspar David Friedrich from Dara Waldron.

 
Evening Landscape with Two Men  - 1830-35   25 x 31 cm

 
 
The Wanderer above a Sea of Mist - 1818   74.8 x 94.8 cm
 
I could quite cheerfully write several blogs on C.D. Friedrich and his images so filled with mystery and ambiguity. There is so much about the Romantic era that has always appealed to me not least of that being the difficulty of defining exactly what it is.Some years ago when I was involved in Englit studies I covered Romantic literature and encountered the concept of the Sublime for the first time. It  took a while to get to grips with it but I believe that it is something that is part of us always, through all      -isms and eras. In the end, we all love vicarious thrills, without the risk, do we not?
But there are so many other important and influential artists from the Romantic period  - Turner, Constable, Blake, Delacroix, Gericault -   that I feel (note that word) that a whole course could be devoted to to this era.
 
Okay, no pride allowed : this is the one he didn't want you to see:
 
 
It would have been alright if my viewpoint had been up somewhere near the ceiling - indeed, I 'lost the plot!'
 
You may have noticed that I haven't -as yet - posted any artists that I have been interested in, but I am in the process of making a very big entry in my contextual notebook; I have also found a number of contemporary artists with whom I am totally unfamiliar - Modern Painters and Parkett - and I will follow them up online  -if I can find anything of interest about these I will talk about them over the weekend when there is more time.
 
In passing here are a couple of images:
 
I wonder how many people in school would recognise this but most would have passed it today
 
Answers on a €5 please
 
In Modern Painters today I was reading an article on Victor Vasarely and at the station I came across this:
 
Is Op Art on the way back?
 
 
Maybe, maybe not, but what is
 
 
Public Print
 



 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment