Patricia Green

Sunday 13 January 2013

No Day of Rest on this Path

Tomorrow the first elective begins and for me that will be printmaking. To that end I spent Thursday afternoon and  a good part of Friday researching sources of ideas in the library.
A number of these I have copied and they have gone into my contextual notebook but I would like to pursue some of them a little more here.
One in particular really surprised me in that he was carrying out the most meticulous and beautiful of copperplate engraving that goes all the way back to Albrecht Dürer. When following up on him I came across a video which I think well worth watching in that it typifies the sort of devotion required to be a printmaker and artist at this level. His name is Andrew Raftery:


www.youtube.com/watch?v=roZcbDca5nc

In passing, I should mention that there are one or two other clips of him at work and I will drop them in later.


 
The other artist I would like to mention is Paul Catherall particularly because I could only find b/w material in the journal and while this really does show the sort of outline I love, colour is essential in a full appreciation of his work
 
 
 
 
 
What I really love about these are that they are linocuts and at this stage I understand how they are done and I would dearly like to be able to do this sort of work.
 
Well, tomorrow morning, hopefully that process may begin.
 
PS  will return later this week to a few more of the gallery visits that took place over the Christmas hols and,  wait for it......... we will have a new serial: 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment