Patricia Green

Saturday 19 January 2013

The path winds around the studio

I have been getting a bit of an odd on my homework.

Here are some of the sketches I have been doing:


 
These are rough sketches from the existing prints as if worked up in wood or lino cut., and looking at them again now I am surprised because I suddenly realise that the one second from top will probably make the best print.
 
Anyway, decided to do a bit of a practise run today using the bottom one and a couple of pieces of woodblock I had here at home:
 
 
 
This was the initial inking, unfortunately only using water-based block ink - practically-speaking there is no comparison with the oil-based ink we have been using in school, but for the purposes of the practise -run it was alright.
Now I wanted to put in a grey layer as well, but I got a very good lesson as to the opacity of white -even in water-based - and was forced to cop on that, of course, the grey goes down first even though the grey block is cut second:
 
 
 
Here are the two blocks and apologies for the rather messy state but I stress that this was simply a test run to see if I had the process right in my head. I may well be told on Monday that this is not the way to do it at all - so be it.
 
Here are the two results:
 
 
 
 
The one on the the right was black base first and grey on top - the left had the black imposed on the grey thus retaining the black cuts. The strange thing is that when I did these I immediately felt that the grey on top was wrong, but when I look at these images I am not so sure. I think when I look at the real thing again I will be reassured!
 
It has been a very valuable exercise and extremely enjoyable, if not very beautiful!
 
We'll give  P P the weekend off.

No comments:

Post a Comment