Patricia Green

Sunday 6 January 2013

The path with words

One thing I forgot to mention was that over the hols I acquired a number of books through presents and purchases and these covered a lot of ground.
I should also mention a book which was suggested to me by Ann in the library and it is one I would highly recommend as it chronicles the advent of commercial colour in the twentieth century through the comments of a number of artists starting with Marcel Duchamp.
It was worth it to me simply for the entry on Ellesworth Kelly with a number of pieces I had never before seen.
It is called: Color Chart: Reinventing Color, 1950 to Today (2008), New York:.MOMA

There is a remainder bookshop in George's St (Dublin) which I believe I have already mentioned but I paid it a couple more visits and these are what resulted -I'll just show the covers and comment a bit:















 

This is a pictorial autobiography  of the Scottish multi-artist whose most well-known work would probably be Lanark : A Life in Four Books (1981)  -his first novel which was also illustrated by him as are all his books.

Some impressively robust print work in this








This one and the above resulted from a rather expensive birthday and Christmas present which I already had and was thus able to exchange. I felt that this was one I could be using throughout my time in school



I picked up on this in a very good remainder shop in Dublin(as mentioned) which keeps publishers I have never seen elsewhere -it is a catalogue raisonnee for printwork by Roger Shimomura and attracted me because of my interest in Japanese woodblock work.












Umberto Eco caught my attention because of The Name of the Rose all those years ago and because of semiotics; and also, undeniably because I am an inveterate list maker - so here we have lists combined with art.


















The Immendorff book was bought because it was all about drawing  - in every way possible - I was not familiar with this artist before now but the book is a very powerful piece of work and helpfully was also a bargain














The last one I will refer to was a present from my daughter and proved very interesting with a selection of 100 Ideas that Changed Art that was far from obvious.
















OK there is something seriously amiss here. I cannot get at my pictures to upload them so I am going to have to get some help on this and I will come back later with those book covers and remarks.
  
[OK....again -This is Thursday and after much huffing and puffing I have discovered a way of getting the pictures in - it is roundabout and slow so I along with a lot of others would like Blogger or Google or whoever it is to fix the normal route!!]


Meanwhile tomorrow is Monday January 7 and term begins again and with it assessments.

Fun Fun Fun  -  Nerves Nerves Nerves.

My next post will be for my assessors and will carry my chosen animations.

No comments:

Post a Comment