Patricia Green

Saturday 17 November 2012

Weekend armchair path

It is noon and one of them wanders off, 2012

This came in an email from Kerlin gallery this morning and is the work of a young Irish artist called Aleanna Egan born in Dublin in 1979 and now living between Dublin and  Berlin. Most of her exhibitions seem to have been in Europe hitherto. Once again edge and line are to the fore -will have to get up there to see that.

(ps -got that slightly wrong  - this was only a notice that they are representing her now  - no exhibition yet  --- pity,that .......... apologies for misleading)

As I am here now, I would like to comment on  a tutorial the other day from Fiona Wood(s?)
which I hasten to say was great, but during the course of a presentation on how to read an image the subject semiotics of came up. I first head of this a good few years ago when I read a book called 'The Name of the Rose' by Umberto Eco. I looked him up and he proved to be a professor of Semiotics (or Semiology?) in Italy. I investigated a bit and came across the whole terminology of signs and signifiers.I found it very interesting but always had a faint sense of unease.
That surfaced the other afternoon when suddenly I felt that so much of semiotics is or appears to be subjective. Who decides the codes? How can one have a science whose 'standards' appear to be based on a subjective view?
To an extent, these are rhetorical questions, and as it is obviously a well-established discipline(?) I am missing something critical so further study is required.
Rant over....but I remain to be convinced .

It's only Saturday moring so Im sure I'll be back here giving out or raving about something else before Monday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment