Patricia Green

Wednesday 14 November 2012

The bound path



Here are three books published by Taschen. Despite some issues with some of their other publications they produce magnificent art books at ridiculously affordable prices. In the past, Thames and Hudson were the only ones to do anything like this but their bigger books always cost a lot.

I bought these in a remainder shop called Khan's in Kilkenny and you might wonder at the rather eclectic choice but anyone who has been follwing my doings or looking at my contextual notebook would see the relevance of the two outer ones.
Velasquez was mentioned in my CCS Essay in relation to the Baroque and ever since (name-dropping here) I visited the Prado a few years ago and saw Velasquez 'in the flesh' I really love his   r and particularly the affinity he shares with Rembrandt for the sweeping brush-stroke (dspite the general difference in scale).

When I was discussing the further progress of my animation project with Sylvia Shortall she mentioned Sean Scully and I told her I had seen his exhibition in the Kerlin which they shared with their gallery in the Gulf States. She made the point that I had never considered that Scully's work is very popular there due to the Islamic prohibition on imagery. His could certainly be interpreted as graphic.
Here are two pictures of the catalogue which came in a box

-lovely presentation


 
To fnish with for now here are prints from yesterday's session in the workshop. They are hanging in the corridor. How about that for hubris!
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. hi frank , the eye lino cuts are really good, simple ,clever and effective

    ReplyDelete