Patricia Green

Wednesday 28 November 2012

The path of paper leaves


Spent a large part of the day in the library working on source material for second CCS essaywhich involves an anaytical examination of two paintings  -Ingres : the Turkish Bath (1862 ):
 
 
and Picasso: Les Demoiselles d'Avignon (1907):


I have, in my mind a fairly good idea of what I wish to say and I won't yet elaborate; suffice to say that when I was young I read a biography of Picassso by Pierre Daix (1965) and found it extremely sycophantic. It tainted my mind rather irrationally against Picasso, I suppose, but a  book read a bit  later, by John Berger -The Success and Failure of Picasso' (1965)- acted as a restorative. Pierre Daix is of course a very good friend of the artist and thus perhaps not best qualified to be objective. It took me a while to start to look properly at Picasso to try to dissociate the artist from such material. I wasnt very objective then.
.........Or maybe I know a bit more now.

Was rather washed out last night and because of the busyness of the day your favourite feature did not appear. Today, however

The Spot Diary:

 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment