Patricia Green

Sunday 18 November 2012

Sharp stones on the path - thin shoes

Ok,ok,ok.........I was a bit hasty (as usual) in my comments about semiotics, but I was recording honestly  my reactions to image reading at the tutorial the other day.
Just now, I was re-reading seminar on semiotics from October 1, which I believe was given by Patricia Green, and which I really should have remembered for the name the ham sandwich acquired.
Anyway, reading it again was good because it clarified the terminology and expanded considerably on the subject of codes.
All that is very good, however I still hold to my position on the subjectivity of the discipline which I note is referred to as I 'tradition'. Equally, I still wonder about who or what originates the codes.
I'll leave it alone -for now -but I would love to discuss this further at some length, in the future.

Here are some strange pictures:


 
And you thought that Escher was simply fantasy! I came across a similar image in the travel section of Saturday's Guardian and was immediately grabbed.
This is a step-well in Chand Baori,Abhaneri, Rajasthan, India. It was built (dug?) in the 10th century and is 20 metres or 11 stories deep.
The world is full of fascinating stimuli.
So saying, I would like to refer back to a pointer Sylvia Shortall gave me the other day when we were discussing animation. She mentioned the Eames's and their chair. It tickled my memory but I couldn't quite place it until I saw the chair then I recalled it:
 
 
 
It really is well-known but it is not their only famous piece of design:
 
This was the first stackable mass-produced chair which led to what we all know and love:
 
 
[wow! I have just heard a guy announcing sport on the radio who says his name is Adrian Eames - what a coincidence -I told you the world is a fascinating place; by the way, a writer who has now fallen out of favour - Arthur Koestler - maintained there was no such thing as coincidence: he said  in a book called'The Roots of Coincidence' that everything was connected by an underlying  'net of synchronicity' - there: stuff you didn't need to know!]
 
Charles and Ray Eames were a husband and wife design team who also produced a number of very interesting short instructional films one of which we saw in the orientation week -'Powers of Ten'.
 
An earlier one - 'A Communications Primer'- used animation techniques which came up later in ' Powers of Ten':
 
This one is about twenty minutes so I just put the link in, but another one of theirs which relates to the house they designed and built (apparently in a few days - all prefabricated components ) and lived in happily for years is worth looking at for the coolness of the imagery:
 
 
OK that was a rather rambling pst but we will put it down to it being Sunday and a day of rest(?!)
 
Tomorrow - The Spot Diary
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment