Patricia Green

Thursday 16 May 2013

The Path of Outer Darkness

Yes indeed, much weeping and gnashing of teeth as we have been cast out for the 'summer' (I use that term advisedly).

I didn't honestly think I would be doing this tonight but I just couldn't resist it and anyway I have no life.

On the other hand I have a glass of wine and I am sitting here surrounded by the wreckage of the year!

 

Interesting day - I got called to see the extern -Dave Lilburn - an artist whose work I realised I already knew quite well when I saw some of it later in the day:



I had a very thorough examination of my work and motivations and he was particularly interested in my previous life and he felt that I would have loads of material for years to come just exploring this.
I was very heartened to hear that especially as I discovered later that John Baldessari is stealing my ideas:



After that intense start it was a slow day till 3.30 but at one stage I went out for a walk and caught some nice rays and some again new views of Limerick:

so much in this is typical of the city, down to the long school uniforms.

guess where this one is

 
A different view of the school and as you can see the rays didn't last long


Back inside and lots of coffee and chat plus a couple of profitable library visits;

 


This book is definitely the ultimate litho bible showing lots of great pics such as this:


which tells you where soft and hard begin in litho crayons and pencils, but also shows some tremendous litho work by great artists such as Jim Dine:




and this lovely townscape by Leonard Lehrer:



Another tome I spotted was this one:


and its contents are divided into wood engraving, etching, litho,etc.

Some examples:

  I enlarged this so that you can see its subject - I have touched on Robert Gibbings already I think - his wood work is superb.


 All of these are wood just to show the detail that can be achieved.

Well. that's it from school, but we shall continue and I will, if its not too presumptuous, show you a number of the books I have picked up and which I think might be of interest.













No comments:

Post a Comment