Patricia Green

Tuesday 21 May 2013

...and so it goes

Since I last wrote here I tried to find what Sarah Thornton is saying now but I could not find anything more recent than about eighteen months ago -apparently she has taken time off journalism to write another book  - not sure what about but I imagine it would be interesting.

Anyway I came across something else that fits the part nicely  - would you believe: an art blog...surprise,that.:

Jonathan Jones on Art      ( based in the Guardian)

I have put his blog onto my list but here is a little of what attracted my attention.

Here is a typical piece by Peter Doig:

 
You would say quite characteristic of his style.
 
Now have a look at this:
 
 
Some law officer in Canada is claiming that when Peter Doig was young he was in a 'correctional facility' (aren't they  just great with words in that part of the world) for drugs and that he painted this and sold it to this guy for $100.  Yer man is taking a case to authenticate the picture even though it is signed Peter Doige and the artist says he has never been in a correctional facility. Anyway the point of the piece(which you should read) is that art prices have totally survived the recession and that even an artist like Mr Doig who certainly does not court the limelight is being seen as a possible source of money:
'Doig's art is dreamy and haunting; it invites meditation. But mercenary realities make the world go round. To love art for itself often seems an eccentric and marginal enthusiasm.'
- Jonathan Jones
 
 
I have spent the last few days reorganising my studio and making it ready for work, but in the course of so doing  I realised (once again) what a lot of stuff one accumulates  - all of which is absolutely essential, naturally. Doing this, I was reminded of a short piece I came across a while back regarding stuff. I think it might amuse:
 

 
George Carlin
 
Don't deny it  -you all relate to this!
 
I'll tell you more about the projects a little later.

No comments:

Post a Comment