Patricia Green

Wednesday 8 May 2013

The path is barred

I was reading today about Robert Motherwell and I had forgotten how much I liked his paintings:

 
The Sienna Wall - 1973

 
 Elegy to the Spanish Republic no.110 - 1971
 
 
but I hadn't realised that h e was also a printmaker; having said that I cannot find any images that are definitely prints but I did find one comment from him that really interested me. At an opening in 1965 he emphasised how Stanley William Hayter's Atelier 17 had catalysed American printmaking. Now I have already referred to this man before and how much I liked his work (big book in the library):
 

 
 
.........but it is remarkable how little he seems to be mentioned now.

 
One of the print groups that has been mentioned in lectures is the collection of Spanish printmakers known as Equipo Cronica; the founders were Manolo Valdes, Joan Toledo and Rafael Solbes and here are some of their images:
 


 
I particularly like Cezanne
 
 
As a result of Kieran Cashell's essay on Urban Imaginations I returned to my passion for graphic novels in all their forms and when I was writing I researched a number of printmakers not all of whose images I was able to use. Here is one who really took my fancy:
 

 
These are by Martin Lewis and were made in the early twentieth century; what really fascinates me with these and others of the time is that one can see the direct line to Gotham Central and Sin City.  There is another interesting facet to these and that is the parallel with he same development that took place in Japan from the blockprinters to today's manga and particularly the animated films such as 'Spirited Away'  from Studio Ghibli.  The colour tones in these are so similar to late 19C blockprints.
 
Tomorrow I will put up the latest variation on the tooth in screen

 








No comments:

Post a Comment