Patricia Green

Sunday 9 February 2014

The Path of Pop and PCP

Perhaps it could also be called the Alley of Alliteration.....

During the weekend I was digging around in the vinyl vaults and I came across this which I hadn't played for a very long time and had forgotten - particularly the title and sleeve:


 
This is a wonderful album by the pianist Geri Allen who I once saw live in Liberty Hall Theatre (great venue) . All I can find out about the cover art is that it was designed by someone called Claus Peter Bauerle and about him I can discover nothing - front looks like etching and aquatint and back like litho.
Terrifying to think that I bought this new in 1985.
 
There was a piece in the Guardian review on Richard Hamilton:
 
Just what is it that makes today's homes so different and appealing?  - Collage on paper- 1956
 
..who,in some quarters is credited with giving Pop Art its name, although I believe he always rejected this himself. Nonetheless, he was certainly a very formative influence and his work was always fascinating and it is timely that Tate Modern are having an exhibition starting Thursday - I will try to see it when I am in London in March.
Here is one I have always liked:
 
 - 1958
Hers is a Lush Situation - Oil,cellulose, metal sheet, collage on panel
 
Interestingly, looking through my books on pop brought to attention  a few artists who could have some input into the ultimate production of the Façade Edge project - Duane Hanson and Richard Estes ans even possibly James Rosenquist. I will come back to them again
 

No comments:

Post a Comment