Patricia Green

Wednesday 12 December 2012

Walls pull back : path widens

The first thing I did when I went in this morning was to check the new wall piece and on looking, I decided to put a few spots of emulsion where there were stains  - I think it was worth it:








Sorry for the aggressive size but otherwise difficult to see the white print.

I am much happier with this as it is much more reflective of the process I have been following.
However, following on from this I had a hard lesson in printmaking today. As I said, I had made my last prints and I collected them and the monoprints and was in the process of trimming them when I leaned a little and to my horror discovered that that last layer (beige ) was not dry and had smudged the black.  I was about to attempt to clean these and Derek told me not to try that with white spirit as it would cause the whole print to flow. Anyway he gave me a great tip and I was able to improve matters enormously. Thanks loads, Derek.
I finished the painting of The Uncertainty Box and placed the ceramic spots:


 
These continue the theme I have been pursuing (in 3D); there is a concept here which may be developed further:
the box is positioned on a table with camera on a tripod aimed downwards and a remote control on the table; the observer is invited to place the spots in whatever arrangement they wish and then to use the remote to take one picture; at the end of the exhibit the resulting images are formed into an animation sequence, thus totally randomly generated. An extra possibility would be to record the sounds made by the spots on the wood and use this as the soundtrack.
I would like to have had the chance to develop this but perhaps in the future,
There was another 3D variation on this which fell victim to a shortage and late delivery of materials:
 

 
In this case, the spots were made of modelling clay, and were fixed in place at different heights; it was intended that they would be enveloped in silicone and ultimately cast in resin  -the silicone did not arrive in time unfortunately.
 
Considerable tidying up was done today; all the bits of tape removed and some more emulsionapplied where there were spots and stain;  some selection was made as to what is going to be in the presentation and  tomorrow I will do a trial hanging.
I have also written a first draft of my statement but it will need a lot of polishing, I think.
 
..........and here we are
 
The Spot Diary
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment