Patricia Green

Saturday 29 December 2012

The path across the garden

The is a certain feeling of surfacing after an indeterminate time spent in wet cotton wool - its called Christmas -thankfully the real world - such as it is  - beckons once more.


With apologies to Richard Long:





 
Really, just trying to make out that thinking about the project never stops. ...and coincidence upon coincidence  - last night I began a new book  called 2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson and the central character in this future novel is a landartist working on Mercury (as you would) who makes large land pieces called goldswothies and uses her body for abramovics; - its everywhere : you can't leave it.
 
This time of year inevitably is a mixture of happiness and sadness and on Monday I will attend the funeral of a very old friend - Dennis O'Driscoll, poet - who I have known for at least thirty years.
About twenty-five years ago he very kindly invited me to open a reading in Thurles from his then second book of poetry Hidden Extras and who shared that night was the artist Tom Shortt ( showing some photographs )  who, I believe still teaches in Limerick. I was the odd one out as both Dennis and Tom were natives of Thurles and I the blow-in. The last time I met Dennis was at the launch of his latest volume but there were so many people that it was impossible to exchange more than  few words.
He will be missed.
 
Next week I hope to do some visiting, particularly to carry out my regular pilgrimage to the Turner watercolours in the National. I will report.

No comments:

Post a Comment