Patricia Green

Wednesday 4 September 2013

Back the Path a bit

I was looking back over some thing I had written about one of those books and I think I will have to somewhat revise my opinion.

However, first let us be absolutely clear about the art world that we are looking at, and this harks to  Sarah Thornton's  'Seven days in the Art World'; this is on the printing history page of 'Newspeak':

 
How about that for a list of sponsors - that's worse than premiership soccer!
 
Anyway the reason I had to reassess the book came from a very thorough perusal of its contents and while some of it is predictable there were some very surprising pieces :
 
 
Jonathan Wateridge -Group Series Number 1 -Sandanistas  -2007
Oil on canvas - 272 x 400 cm

Ged Quinn  - Dreams of Peace and Love Gradually Giving Way - 2006
Oil on Linen  - 183 x 235 cm
 
I have given these two a very big presence but as you can see they are big paintings but they are extraordinary in their detail and finish. Now I am not saying that I would ever wish to be able to do this sort of work but it is amazing that this features along with much more expressionistic work.
 
The other thing I should say in praise of this book is that the production values are very high  and when opened the leaves sit down beautifully - this might seem pernickety but it is a great plus when looking at art books

I am working on my last screen print before returning to the fold on Monday and I think I should have it finished - it has proved to be an interesting process but more about that later.

Here are some more drawings:

 
I still really love working with ink
 
 
a further development of the rusting steel theme with a little w/c highlighting.
 
-picking up some decayed teeth from the dental hospital on Friday  - wait for the macro photos of these!!
 
Finally some more ground art but of a more random natural variety:
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment