Patricia Green

Sunday 15 September 2013

Still wandering

In more ways than one - physically in that this weekend we were down in Cork (more anon) but also mentally in that  once given a brief there is a certain amount of difficulty in settling on what sort of image one wished to extract from it; I immediately leaped on some of the things I had been teasing out during the summer but suddenly they felt a bit pretentious but with a bit of mis -en-scene and macro photography at home I think I may have arrived at something interesting - I wont show any of the pictures until I have drawn the image and then we'll see.

Meantime here is some of the immediate reaction to the brief:

First mind map with interesting bits highlighted



 
 
First instinctive drawings of steel structures and tooth decay
 
 
 The real thing - doesn't in fact look all that bad  does it? - what I do may involve both those substances but in a different way.
I have been going on a fair bit recently about the Art World  but last week and particularly at the end of the week I  had direct experience of this. On Thursday I was in school listening to lectures and thinking about what I was at another opening in the Crawford Gallery in Cork. In each of these pieces I saw totally different manifestations of the Art World and how it operates but they all had one thing in common -a bunch of artists who want people to see their work and  as I have always maintained no art work is complete until it is looked at by someone other than the artist.
The two shows were intriguing in their different ways but both were intensely painterly :
 
 
 
 
In passing, I should say that Elizabeth Cope had some lithographs on show also.
 
I was stuck for a while in a traffic jam in Charleville and was amused by two contrasting towers I slowly passed by:
 
 
 
I also thought that the drip pattern here was quite attractive:
 
 
 
The traffic was going  very slowly!
 
Another thing that took my fancy was this:
 

 
Strange and difficult to use because the words were almost invisible
 
Can never resist the bit of ground art and the was chance  - I did not put the leaf there:
 
 
Could you say 'I heart Cork'
 
On going into the print workshop on Friday to make a few small pieces I discovered this:
 
 
Well done Eoin -gone but not forgotten  - another affionado of ground art!
 
 
 
 
 
 


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment