Patricia Green

Friday 25 October 2013

More cobblestones

Yes, back to the walking path.

Here is another instalment from the epic art trip to London Frieze week which I would think would be a great trip for the students of LSAD.

After a sandwich, off to Frieze Masters which also takes place in a tent in Regents Park - sounds a  bit tacky, doesn't it .. but you really have to see the tents.
And maybe also one should think of the content.
I should perhaps explain the difference between FL and FM. An arbitrary decision has been made that FL - the original - should now only have art post 2000; consequently, everything up to the 21C is now regarded as a 'master'...... welllll, maybe.
Anyway, as I already said, the relative stand numbers have reversed , to the benefit of FM and that is in only two years. Should that trend continue, whither contemporary art?
The other thing is that many people are saying that they prefer FM; perhaps there is a feeling of familiarity about established art; myself, I couldn't help feeling a certain desperation about much of FL - I suppose they all want to be with Larry Gagosian in place of Jeff Koons and as famous (notorious?) and rich as he is.
......oooh alright : that is a bit cynical, but really you should have heard some of the numbers being bandied around and it wasn't, like, subtle.

Enough; here are some more pictures:

 
Matisse
 
 
Giorgio Morandi
 
 
 Kandinsky - one I had never seen
 
 
One of my all-time favourite artists - Yves Tanguy
 
 
Another great love - Maria Da Vieira Silva
 
 
 
A relatively recent Bridget Riley
 
 
Judy Chicago, whose prints featured at Multiplied
 
 
A wonderful drawing by Corot
 
I'll have to stop going on about favourites as it must be obvious that I have photographed the artists I really like.....well,mostly
 
 
pertinent to CCS - Giacomo Balla
 
 
Goya
 

 
Richard Long
 
Ed Ruscha
 
 
Really  -  do I have to say?
 
 
Lovely Minimalism - Sol LeWitt - I remember someone  building wonderful cubes like these near me in 1st year
 
 
This was  a surprise to me - Giacometti.
 
 
This stand had a full retrospective to Wilfredo Lam -one of the original Surrealists
 
 
 
This is a still life  by Van Kessel the Elder, but my main reason for posting it is to show a rather novel way of hanging... and there were quite a few of these on this stand
 
 
 
De Kooning - intriguing
 
 
Donald  Judd - another wonderful Minimalist
 
 
   Sigmar Polke
 
 
 
Room - Ed Ruscha  :  How good can it get?
 
 
You'ld know that head anywhere, wouldn't you?
 
 
Father of the Church  - Jan Toorop
 
 
A great example of the direct sculptural style of Ernst Barlach, a German Expressionist who was also a printmaker
 


 
These are all of Naum Gabo a sculptor well-liked in the print workshop
 
 
 This is a poor photo but whenever I see any of these late w/colours of Mont Sainte Victoire I cannot resist recording them
 
 
An absolute jewel of a small painting by Gericault in front of  which myself and two other art students stood in awe.
 
 
 
A small Moore
 

Once again an unusual Kandinsky - I was not familiar with this almost monochrome work
 
 
Redon - glorious colour
 
 
This rather intriguing piece comes from an artist called Arman whose work is unfamiliar to me but some investigation shows that this is part of a series in similar vein
 
 
Finally a small but exquisite drawing by Kasimir Malevich
 
It is now Friday afternoon and I am home having done some 'scraping' this morning - tomorrows post will be strictly related to my own work and where I am going at the minute. (out for something to eat, actually )
 
Later I will return to the travels as there is still a bit to show and some things to say about the art I saw.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment