Patricia Green

Monday 22 October 2012

On the Road Again

With that title I shaould really be able to add a bit of music from Canned Heat but maybe that would be a bit ambitious.

Anyway, I'm here at my desk with my own laptop working away as the mid-term reviews have been going on around me. I met my tutor in the corrdor and she asked me if I was today and I said  "Thursday" so Iam continuing to work on more animations using pictures of shutters on shops ont hre way from the station to here.:






 
Thesae shutters are everywhere and people have been complaining for some years that it was now impossible to window shop anymore - envy seems to have produced a society whreer people hold on desperately to what they have; anyway, they are now ubiquitous and thus familiar. So, the challenge is to make them unfamiliar, not just to look, but to see.
 
Heres the first result of that process:
 
 
But thats not the only thing that has apperared as part of the ongoing process today:
 
 



 
These are the results of our session in the ceramics workshop last Tuesday, And while they are unlikely to appear in Fu Ping or the V&A for my first ever attempt at ceramic work I am delighted with them. The lower piece is a sort of ham-fisted homage to woman who was gifted in ceramics and had a studio in Cashel where I  saw serious work for the first time -Sarah Ryan (1950 - 2001)
 
There are nine of her pieces in Limerick City Gallery of Art, which are well worth seeing -looking at the date of her death it is hard to believe it was so long ago and that she had reached that age -she seemed so much younger.
 
 
Anyway the path calls once more and even though I have some more ideas about animations I would kike to push in a somewhat diffeent direction. Two things have occurred to me: one involves doing a series of drawings or paintings bearing on the concept of edge, photograhing them and then animating them usung editing processes to change them from the original.
 
The other direcrion is to look at a series of prints which are very edge-orientated - japansese woodblock work such as Hokusai, Hirshige or Utamaro. I imagine there would have to be some checks made on copyright issues before using these, but it might be interesting to download or print fragments of these prints and put them together in an animation.
Some japanese woodblock prints:
 






 

There are possibilities here

No comments:

Post a Comment