Patricia Green

Saturday 3 August 2013

The Wood-Block Path

Today I finished what was one of my avowed projects for the summer. Here is a photo-essay :

 
Original design

 
Plan for colour blocks
 
 
Transfer
 

 
Key Block

 
Kento registration marks
(Kento reg is used in traditional Japanese woodblock printing and is transferred from the keyblock to all the succeeding colour blocks)
 
 
 
 
How paper fits kento
 

 
Initial carving



 
Key block carved
 
 
Sheets for colour locks
 
Colour blocks marked and carved with Kento reg
 

 
Paper washed off and blocks drying

 
 
 
1st colour block
 
 
Kento reg.

 
Four colours
 
 

 
 
 
More colour blocks
 

 
 


 

 
three colours on one block

 all the colours
 
 
Prints after key block added
 
 
 
 
Key block
 
 
Four prints trimmed and remounted




 
OK what are the conclusions from this project?
As you can see the resulting prints are rather variable and these are the best ones. While I would be reasonably pleased with the registration over five blocks, the colour is patchy  and I feel it is partly due to the ink which is water-based; if things work out I may try the process again with oil-based ink. The other thing I was not happy about was the way the paper size was set up before the process: that would have to be improved.
 It was also difficult also to keep the colour blocks clean and I am not entirely sure how this can be achieved. In general, it seems better to use small rollers for inking.
Does it work as a piece of art? Well, I had an image in my mind and it proceeds from my past life and the harlequin effect would reflect how I would have tried to think about my life while involved deeply in a particular task.
 
I think there is more in this but I have to work his out of my system ... perhaps, as I already said, by using the decay process as an allegory for 'western' life.

No comments:

Post a Comment