Patricia Green

Wednesday 24 July 2013

On the path again


It seems to be almost de rigueur these days that it is almost ten days between posts...... won't do, y'know!

anyway as usual I have loads of excuses, not least among them being that we have been travelling once more, this time to Achill where we got the last of the sunshine and some rather dramatic pictures which I will return to - they deserve  a bit of time to themselves.
Other reasons for absence from the blogosphere have been that I have been putting in a fair amount of work at the press, and today I met Barry, Jim and Kathleen in the Peoples Park in Limerick where we painted under the bandstand, oblivious to the rain. - moderate results - I haven't photographed it yet ... we'll see.
Afterwards I called in to School where I met Gillian Fitz and discussed a mutual acquaintance. Talked to Ann in the library and looked at a very interesting article in Printmaking Today about wood engraver Simon Brett featuring his new work in twelve prints - Axe of God ; here is one of his pieces from 2003 - Run for Your Life:

 
So, the visit to the library revitalised my desire to tap at the keyboard

Before I go any further, however, I must tell of something astonishing I heard yesterday. I was talking on the phone to an old friend who shall remain nameless as she might be a little embarrassed by this. This woman is a very ( I mean, seriously ) accomplished artist(painter) but has only recently been persuaded to show her work- I have seen it and I know how good it is. Anyway, she now has a website and lo and behold she was contacted by Saatchi Galleries to know if she would be interested in showing with them, but when she said she had no degree they immediately said they were no longer interested!!??!!

Whither art?

I really cannot make any further comment on this, save to say that it is rather depressing.

What have I been doing? Well you may (or may not) remember way back in June ( The Path of the Blade -15/06)  I showed the beginnings of two multiblock projects. One of them is now finished so here are some shots of the process:




 
 
 
These were the four blocks after the colour:


And here is one of the finished prints:

 
 My main reason for showing this is to demonstrate that the registration process is considerably more difficult than it may appear ( or I am very bad at it!)
Anyway there is a lot to learn but every exercise teaches a little more and we will see how the next one (which is using a different reg system) works out.


No comments:

Post a Comment