Patricia Green

Tuesday 30 July 2013

Looking back along the path

I have been working away on the next print edition and when it is finished I will devote one post to it because with images and results there is a lot to say.

The travel wasn't over with the trip to Clare because out of the blue an invite arrived to go to Achill and what with the weather and indeed the same island being one of my favourite places on earth, there was not much persuading needed. We left here early on the Friday morning ( 19/07) and returned late on the following Monday morning.
In between, we swam (in various places - but most notably on Keem Beach, the joys of which I have frequently recorded), sat on beaches, walked (not a lot - too hot) took sea trips out around the Atlantic cliffs (v impressive) and looked at the full moon over the sea.

Random images:
 
from the house

 
Sliabh Mor from Dugort




 
Sliabh Mor from the house at sunrise
 
 
 
 
A later view
 
 

 
Achill Head - most westerly pint of the island -maybe of Ireland?


 
 
what I thought
 
On Monday we went in to Galway where I visited the Absolut Gallery - a part of the Galway Arts Festival. This is held as I think I mentioned in a warehouse behind Galway Shopping Centre and is an impressive space. I went particularly to see Howard Hodgkins Prints as I had not been aware of him as a printmaker.:
 




 
For those who are familiar with his painting, the prints are quite similar but some of the layering in the printwork is very interesting.
 Now I am well aware that there are many who do not particularly like Hodgkins' work (not least a certain friend of mine - artist - who was quite direct and uncompromising in his view) but I like it although I am not entirely sure why - there is a certain visceral reaction to paint spread  with such abandon but such intent.
Anyway that is the joy of art - subjectivity.

There was another exhibit by John Gerrard called Cuban School and this consisted of two massive ( about 20 metres long ) screens showing a very slow take on these school buildings given to Cuba by the USSR when they were already essentially useless.... but the Cubans continued to make them function. This is not a great description but it had to be seen : very moving and not a little disturbing.

There were other pieces also but the general effect was that if it was on again next year I believe I would make a special journey to see it.

I almost forgot to mention Red Fox Press in Dugort in Achill which I have visited before and several of whose artist books I have received as presents

 
This visit was a little different in that I met Francis Van Maele and talked with him for quite a long time. When he reminded me, I recalled seeing his work in the artists book show held last year in Ormston House. I am particularly interested in this as I would aim to make an artist book eventually as the concept combines so much of what motivates me; it would be a target to make a book which might move or change someone ...... by however little.










 

No comments:

Post a Comment