Patricia Green

Tuesday 18 September 2012

The Walk Begins

To-day began promisingly enough, but fell into a dispirited trough with a blank sheet staring back for an hour or so.

 The tracks seemed to be leading nowhere and the structure appeared all too apt:



Change of scene required and rather strangely the mood was lifted with a number of Edward Hopper pictures, which delighted me with their refernces to american railroads and alienation and of course, lots of undisturbed space

 
It is also true that I felt happier having seen the people in the Chair Car
 

When I returned to the studio I had a visit from a second year student who had done the same PLC as I and I think must have intuited that I might be having a bit of bother -much as she had had last year.
The ensuing discussion was brilliant!
The tracks will remain but a word that had been simmering under my conscious  suddenly bubbled up.
I had been collecting images of track and trains running along coast lines
but the word that for me describes such places, emerged, as if it had just been waiting for me:
Edge



Edge of space, edge of time, edge of land, edge of the univrese, edge of me................skin.

So edge is the separation between many different kinds of space, but with regards to me - the separation between my space and the space of other.

to be continued/

No comments:

Post a Comment