Patricia Green

Wednesday 24 September 2014

A pointy bit of the path

Well it doesn't be long about getting started .....  today we had out firstY3 tutorial with a review our proposals for our self-directed brief which is to cover this term.

I showed some pictures of a ruined abbey and while that will continue as part of the Gothic seminar the brief has veered somewhat in direction:


 
This piece of wood is a stake (......not a pipe)
 
and you should expect for a while to see more of it -I have already done a lino/cut and a screenprint (moderately successful -in the process of a second run) pictures of which I shall show shortly.
 
The provisional title for the project is Dissolution and it involves a study of one definition of that word which is a separation into component parts, or a return to whence one came (pinned to the earth) or simply ageing.
 
The stake and:
 
 
....the bone
 
represent the pinning back and the reduction of ourselves to our 'component parts'
 
 
 
I intend for a while to explore various image-making techniques around these and also to explore another definition of dissolution - dissipation and degradation. Two
 of the artists I have chosen to research for this are 
Vladimir Velickovic:
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
It is not hard to see that here you have dissolution fairly well covered; - I should point out also that the lowest work is about 5 metres long and these pieces when seen in a big gallery space such as Les Abattoirs in Toulouse (where I first encountered his work) leave a deep and abiding impression.
 
The other artist to whom perhaps Velickovic may owe some debt is Francis Bacon:
 

 

 
 
 
Velickovic is a Serbian artist who has spent a large part of his life in Paris where he teaches and has probably carried out most of his practice life later than that of Bacon (London) but it  seems unlikely he (V) would have been unaware of the other.
 
This is a day later so now I have some pics of where I am going with the stake:
 
 
Lino/cut

 
Silkscreen

 
Silkscreen
 

 
.....and the wall in its first incarnation for this year
 
I think its time I thought of something like the ground alphabet or the spot diary to keep you all amused, so leave it with me.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment