Patricia Green

Monday 21 April 2014

The Path of Pages

One thing I did not mention was that we have had a new temporary tutor while Breda has been away- her name is Marian Sheehan; here is her card:













She is doing her MA with Noelle Noonan as her supervisor.

She gave us two short talks on her subject which is fairy and ghost stories and related a visit to a castle in Charleville which has a rep for psychic happenings; when she showed us some of her work I immediately remembered her degree show from about two or three years ago. her drawing skills are extraordinary and her embroidered birds were amazing.

Anyway the second day she was there she did a tutorial with me and was very interested in my work with artists books and made a few very interesting suggestions which have led directly to another step on the path.
The artist she mentioned was Nobuhiro Nakanishi:


 
He makes landscapes from multiple sheets of what appears to be heavy acetate with marginally different images which can be looked through.
 
Another artist using multiple sheets was suggested by Liam Lewis  - Marlene Oliver:
 

 
who while using the multiple technique deals more in biological images.
 
Anyway Marian suggested I might make acetates of my shopping centre images and put them into book form.
 
Here is the result:
 
 



 
 I have doctored an old encyclopaedia, cutting out pages and completely rebuilding the cover with one of my own. It is reasonably successful but I still have some way to go with the proper attachment of flyleaves to the covers to allow satisfactory movement ...but I'm getting there.
 
I may have mentioned before that the bitmapping process didn't hold a lot of appeal unless one was going to turn the image almost to abstraction by making the dots really big and by 'dithering' them but I will come back to it again.
 
Meantime I found a 'bitmapped' image in my travels that amused me:
 

 
Think about them.
 
 


 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment