Patricia Green

Wednesday 16 April 2014

Springing along the path

The last post(!!?!!) was in some ways incomplete in that I wasn't able to get all the images in that I wanted - they just wouldn't load properly - c'est la vie.

The other thing I didn't return to was  that I never made the connection with the artists I mentioned; Peter Doig's etches chimed with the tones I was getting in my etches and the colours Peter Hallay uses are what I would like to put into my screens and I hope in the fortnight remaining I can do some of this.

There was a very interesting visit from a conceptual artist called Dennis McNulty whose talk was really fascinating

 
That's him with the megaphone



This is part of one of his installations - I particularly liked the one done in London - Precast - as  it dealt with the built environment and this chimes well with my Façade Edge project. We found afterwards that we had a very strong shared in interest in the SF writer William Gibson and the concept of cyberspace. All-in-all I enjoyed this visit far more than I had expected to and I would look out for his work and where I could see it.

Another conceptual artist whose work I was alerted to by Michael Canning is Luis Kamnitzer, a german-born Uruguayan, living in the US:





 
What I particularly like about this work is the emphasis on repetition and multiple and its apparent relation to the book - also he uses photo a lot  and here are my chief interests all being drawn together  - at  least potentially - in the artists book.
 
I briefly mentioned Elizabeth Scherffig on the London visit but I have been back to look at her work again - admittedly online, as I couldn't find anything in the library, even in the journals....................immediately, I contradict myself! -I forgot about Vitamin D2!!!! - and here she is:
 



 
The upper two are untitled and the lower ones come from the Vitrea series and are drawings of glass in all its forms  - all are done with chalk lead (sepia dark ) on Arches paper.
I would recommend anyone interested in drawing to seek out her entry in Vit D2 ( in fact just look at that book ) and it becomes apparent that her interest in industrial objects, discarded and broken, would be of interest to me.
 
A propos  of that I was working on something else in my studio (home) the other day when I got this terrific urge to make marks on paper:
 

r

 
This is the one piec in three stages - black and red ink on paper 120 cms wide.
 
I think that is where I am now.
... Oh I almost forgot -I have received Ground Art II from Blurb - its good but not as good as the first principally because the quality of the pictures is not up to the same level... but the next one will be Façade Edge.
 
Nor did  I mention Rumpus but I think that has probably been well-covered elsewhere...
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment