Patricia Green

Saturday 21 December 2013

The path is a little smoother

First I would like to put in a picture  I took last Thursday night on my way to the station after the Print-off - I am really sorry not to have posted it  then because Eoin Barry has a much better and admittedly later shot of the same project on his Facebook page -he also explains what it is about; I couldn't agree with him more - go and see it and be cheered up and maybe a little more optimistic about the coming culture year in Limerick;

 
As I have already said elsewhere - Ed Ruscha eat your heart out!
 
Was in Dublin on Wednesday and did a bit of visiting -first to Graphic Studios for their Winter show -as always very impressive  -here are a few images:
 
 
I Phone 5 - Packaging  : Screenprint  -  Raymond Henshaw
 
I particularly liked this one and notably there were very few sceenprints the very vast majority being etchings of one sort or another ( A lot of aquatint, I would have thought)

 
Up the Dubs   - Linocut  -  Constance Short
 
Simple and straightforward - really nice - a lot of cutting.
 
There were 74 pieces and of these  51 were etchings  -   interesting.
 
Onward to IMMA for my first visit since it reopened and great to see it back in business with some terrific art on show.
The main exhibition is a retrospective on the Irish architect and designer; this is long-overdue as hitherto there has been a small feature on her in the National Museum in Collins' Barracks. Admittedly she spent most of her working life in France and she has been feted there with a major exhibition in Centre Pompidou, nonetheless we do not have so many top artists in Ireland that we can afford to ignore one such as Ms Gray.
It is an excellent show and a timely reminder that we can produce great designers here even if they have to go further afield to bloom fully:
 
 
Cork Screen

 
Chairs

 
Collage


Again, collage
 

 
Screen

 
Furniture

Standard Lamp
 
Another artist was Klara Liden and I loved these 'posters':
 
 
 
Another exhibition is One Foot in the Real World and here is a quote about it:
 

"Drawing on IMMA’s Collection, One Foot in the Real World, includes works that explore the urban environment, the everyday or the domestic. Elements of architecture and design recur as points of departure in the works; such as bricks; the keyhole; the window; the door and the table."
 
Some pieces:
 
 
Antony Gormley

 
Max Bill - Doublement
 
Picture does not do this justice
 
I also liked this piece of writing contrary to my ongoing tirade against artspeak:
 
Didn't get to see Leonora Carrington, but maybe again
 
Just in case you all think I was just swanning around art shows while sitting in my daughters house I came across an old friend fro an earlier course and couldn't resist a portrait:
 
 
 
 
 
Finally these are for you Aoife -  they made it to their destination despite various difficulties which I put in their way (more another time)
 



 Thanks again
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment