Patricia Green

Friday 13 December 2013

Looking back along the path

It's getting to that time of year when the path must be surveyed .

I think it is called Assessment.

Anyway I have been looking back along a windy, tortuous and at times narrow and broken surface and I realise thee have been a few omissions not least the source whence the w/cut came.



 
This actually came after the print and a number of people said that they were surprised that someone who avowedly loved books as much as I did should murder them in this way. My justification was that it was the content that was being attended to; anyway, as in most things in this world, I wasn't the first:
 
 
I hardly need to say it but this is The Book of Nails by a group known as Floating Concrete Octopus about whom at this time I know nothing.
 
However I decided to change the title of the murdered books for another object which murders books and I will do a print later of this with a metal spike through it:
 
 
...and no I am not a Luddite - I just don't like them
 
When I was taking the books down I had another idea:
 


Perhaps this speaks to the voyeuristic element of books where we spy on the lives of others, or perhaps it characterises the male gaze  or maybe it is simply creepy...... to be addressed
 
Let's just finish a little more lightly:
 
 
 
The accidental image - gold ink into which some white spirit had dropped prior to cleaning.
 
Reminds me of the  Mandelbrot Set - a fractal image from chaos theory.
 
...and finally today's date:
 
11/12/13

No comments:

Post a Comment