Patricia Green

Sunday 10 November 2013

Promises, promises

Ok it's not tomorrow but the day after and rather late at that but what I am going to do now is to give you the last stage of the recent (heavens' it has receded into the distance already!) trip to London and that was the visit to Tate Britain after I debarked(?!) from the river boat:

 
This piece is by Anthony Caro and would be typical of why I love to visit Tate Britain - or as I originally knew it: simply the Tate Museum of Modern Art; Caro has, as I have already noted, died in his nineties just recently.

I had forgotten about the Bacons and was particularly delighted to see the pieces that have become part of my collage work

 
 
I include this closeup for the brushwork of which you will see more in a bit - more reflections there too.
 



Great to be able to get these close-ups and amazing quality with just the phone camera

One could not go to the Tate without paying even a brief visit to the Turner Rooms:


 
Again look at Turners bush work - it really is extraordinarily vigorous.

And of course, Mr Moore:




 
I particularly liked these  - they are not what most people would think of when considering Moore
 

 
King and Queen - this is one of my favourites - I originally saw a picture of this in moorland on a Scottish hillside and it appeared so elemental
 
 
Barbara Hepworth

 
Reg Butler
-again two great British sculptors from some years ago who don't seem to get much mention now
 
 
Jacob Epstein - Rock Drill ; this is in fact only  part of the original; Epstein didn't like it and indeed it is also very untypical of what Epstein would be noted for ... but I love it - it is so truculent
 
 
This is a painting by William Orpen called The Mirror (1900) with which I was unfamiliar but considering our recent brushes with the Arnolfinis I couldn't resist it ; have a look at the close-up:
 
 
 do you think he had Van Eyck on his mind?
 
Finally here are a few drawings I did while in the presence of greatness:
 


 
Back to print next
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment