Patricia Green

Saturday 7 June 2014

First Print of Summer

Sounds awfully lyrical, doesn't it? 

Not so, I'm afraid:

 
Found an interesting piece o wood from a box containing wine and it suggested an arch.


Home printing is a bit haphazard at this stage... will do better...

More importantly had a lovely visit to Limerick for Degree show - First Light - and once again huge compliments to VizComm for their ever more magnificent brochure.
I was a little early so I went down to the Hunt and had a look at  their show - The Artist's Eye - of which more later.
 I suppose it is only to be expected that the first pieces I would look at would be the printmakers - ooops! sorry - that should be Printmaking and Contemporary Practice (PCP),should it not????
Anyway it is rather invidious to single out anyone but there were a few pieces that particularly appealed to me and one was that of Emily Robards:


 


 
 
Printing on ceramic was something that Rosie Cleary did also to tremendous effect overcoming severe obstacles in the process:

 
 
 
 
 Dawn West's deceptively simple printmaking was very highly thought-of by all concerned and was very properly rewarded.
Brian Gregory's sound and vision piece was rather startling to this writer as it was one's own voice coming out of the speakers -I had actually forgotten my part in this until I heard it and I would have to say I was stunned by the terrific match with the images.
Another piece that involved video was Ewan McGarry's John from the Office - laughed a lot here ( but that should be no surprise) - possibilities in many other areas than PCP here.
 
I loved Helena Grimes' drawings:
 
 
 
 
and even large like this does not do them sufficient justice
 
Maggs Codd's intense study of her native coastline was very powerful :
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
and the scale of Mary Clare O'Briens piece which I followed in its construction is overawing in its ambition:
 
 
 
 
 
I have mentioned just a few here but everyone's work was so heartfelt that looking at the show was quite emotional.
Congratulations to all and all the best for the future.
 
I saw pretty well everything but one element particularly stands out and that was the ceramics display. It never fails to amaze me what people are able to produce from clay...
 
 Painting always pulls me and there is always that sneaking feeling about me and painting. I have to say I am always fascinated by what can be achieved by pushing around coloured paste on a flat surface....Will I do it again? I think so but it will be a lot different than what I did before.
 
It was a lovely day and the speeches and presentations were achieved in the courtyard (big tree) in beautiful sunshine.
It was lovely to meet everyone but sad to think there are many we wont meet again.
 
I'll come back the Hunt in next post but meanwhile I have been passing through Limerick junction in lovely sunshine and looking at this, which seems to be growing rather than diminishing:
 
 


 
 
Will I arrive there after to hols and find that the outer (seemingly unused ) tracks have been swallowed ( the imagination definitely needs a vacation)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment