Patricia Green

Thursday 26 June 2014

Now, it's time

Ok that does not mean I am buying a 3-series German car from Bavaria ... even though that is the tag from an ad I have just heard on the wireless - I bet some of you out there have never heard a radio called by that name..... it's an age thing I'm afraid.

Anyway, it is time to update somewhat. This summer is shaping up rather like last year in that there is  fair bit of moving around and a lot of photography.

Here are a few rather unusual ones:

 

 
No puzzles this time : this was a pot of soup that had been forgotten about and consequently grew this remarkable mould - the filaments were about 3cms high; strangely, others here did not share my enthusiasm so I had to be fairly quick about the pictures.
BTW you might remember the pictures of a strip of paper I finished with the last time:
 
 
Ok, if you didn't know, this is a Moebius strip ie a strip with only one side(??!!?)
Take a strip of paper and twist it once and then glue the ends together. Then take a pen and pull the paper under the pen and see how the ends of your mark join.
 
Ok, ok, ok, more useless knowledge.
 
And here's even more of the same:
 
 
 
This would have been called an executive toy in the past but the one you are looking at is about eight feet high and really constitutes a rather interesting piece of conceptual art. It is in the Beacon Office Centre in Dublin.
 
Strange things you see as you move around:
 
 
I would say he was lucky no one wanted the disabled space, because every other space was occupied.....or maybe he owned it; he certainly wasn't moving.
 
I have been back at the book work again:
 



These are the first efforts at zigzag accordion books and there will be a lot to be learned about the whole business of folding:


 
 This is a miniature accordion pocket book - really only a practise run for a bigger version of the same. The whole business of making books is absolutely fascinating and with each day the sort of print book I might make changes in my mind and ideas that would have seemed only for professional book makers suddenly appear at least to be within reach.
 
I was testing the absorbency of different papers and this image appeared and demanded to be photographed:
 
 

 
As I said we have been moving around a bit and the other day we found ourselves in south Tipperary:
 
 
.....up the place known as the Vee, looking back up towards the north of the county, but really the point of this is the next picture:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
...and believe it or not that colour is absolutely true; the rhodo reflections made the lake - which is usually black- a delicate violet.
I did a drawing here but it needs more work  so I will wait a while before posting it.
 
The other thing that has been happening is that the collection of Ground Art has continued to grow and I think I may soon be ready for another volume from Blurb - here are a few of the more interesting ones:
 





 
There is another series which I am building up and it involves ground installations and the sometimes rather surprising writing on them  - I'll keep those for a later post - I wouldn't want to overwhelm you with riches.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment