Patricia Green

Saturday 22 March 2014

The Path of Culture

Enough has been muttered about how chagrined I was about missing Morgan Doyle's workshop but you can't do everything and perhaps I have shown that what happened in London will have long-term benefits; so, back on track with a summary of what has been happening with Façade Edge.

Here are some pictures:



 
Theses are three plates derived from photos of Thurles and Newbridge Shopping centres. The pictures were exposed on a silkscreen and from this they were transferred to aquatinted plates  with bitumen through the screen  -hence the negative images - later I plan to do two of these with sugar-lift thus producing positive images of the same scenes.
 
These show one of the plate with bitumen still in place and then inked for print:
 
 
 
 
Here are some of the prints:
 

 
This overprinting is not successful - it worked far better with the actual screenprinting which I will show at next post.
 
These were the first  prints  - better versions followed :
 


 
On Friday I decided to put in a serious mornings' work with the plates and as I had to leave at two for a meeting I felt I shouldn't stop for coffee or food - mistake!! By the time I got up to LCGA for lunch I was on my knees - serves me right  - I'll show the results next week : some quite good.
 
The other strand of work has been the production of digital images and to my amazement I feel I have passed a watershed with Photoshop and I am keen to get back at it again to work on images from Achill (St Patrick's weekend)
 
Here are some of the images being submitted for their digital element:
 


 
The first three show an element of the boredom, ennui, and 'scripted disorientation' that occurs in shopping centres.

 
This is a rather glamourised view of the dereliction that backs many glossy temples of materialism  -  thus Façade and equally Edge
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment