Patricia Green

Tuesday 11 March 2014

Gutted

Well it was about as bad as I expected - I really did miss a major event in the workshop, judging by the terrific prints that have been produced from Morgan Doyle's visit.
Ok just  get on with it and make more prints - get out the big acetate and get to work.

Before I go back to London I'll just show some pictures of the most recent woodcut and its provenance:



 
This was the b/w original
 
 
The print and the photo
 
 
The final print
 
Alright -today working on screens and plates and a lot of bitumen - pictures later
 
Back to London.
 
I left the British Museum and headed for the East End and the Whitechapel Gallery to see Hannah
 Höch - after all this was what it was all about:
 
 
The front of the Gallery - looks like a William Morris work.
 
Here are a selection of the surreptitious photos I took -  conditions were not exactly .....ideal almost from my sleeve!





 
From here on are less well - known and I was very surprised to find that she was making work into the 1980s - after 1945 ("12 years of horror" ie the Nazis and their treatment of her - 'degenerate art') her work became steadily less representational - "rather they serve  as a reinvestigation of abstraction"








 
The precision of her cut is extraordinary and the later work is quite beautiful - I didn't buy the catalogue as it was too heavy  but if I can get it I think I will.
 
HHs comment on her collages was that they should give a " clear aesthetically independent message."
 
Really, thinking back now  I am so glad I was there.
 
I will leave it there and resume tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment