Patricia Green

Monday 10 March 2014

Quarried

Now it has been rather longer than I would have liked but its the usual excuse -a lot happening.

Lets first go back to the beginning of last week just before the progress review. At that stage I had finished my series of three lithos on the theme of the ennui of shopping centres. this was the last image:

- on the stone

 - proofing levels

on tissue - on the window


- superimposed and inverted on glassine


 
The wall - the three images on the right and on the left three images using previous woodcut of Barcode and toprolled.
 
I went on from here to finish the woodcut of the Boy drinking Coffee and varied that but no photos yet.
 
Then three days of difficulty.
 
This was when the planned trip to London eventually came to pass but unfortunately on the exact same three days there was a visiting printmaker - Morgan Doyle- with whom I would have been working had I been here....... I thought seriously about pulling out of the London trip, but as you will see I wold have missed out on a lot. 
 
In London again  - is time in the company of a 1st year group led by Sylvia Shortall and Michael Canning; my motivation had been to see the Hannah Höch exhibition in the Whitechapel Gallery (never before visited:
 
 
....you can see the tube station in bottom right-hand corner - I came out and turned left for 500m not realising I was actually at the gallery!) but I trailed a long and saw quite  few unexpected shows an went to other places I had planned. 
 
We arrived on Wednesday at about 12.00 and after food visited the two Serpentine Gs,:
 
Haim Steinbach @ Serpentine:
 
 

 
 - These I really liked because they were collages of vinyl flooring material
 
 I used to imagine do paintings like this but now I know they are so far away from my thinking
 
Outside Serpentine :
 
 
Fischli/Weiss - Rock on top of Another
 
Serpentine Sackler: Martino Gamper : Design is a state of Mind:
 



 
 This interested me because it involved the use of furnishings that I was familiar with when I was a lot younger - there were a lot of objects here and one was provided with a complete list.
 
Later we moved to the Green Park/Cork St. area beginning with White Cube at Mason's Yard
 
 
This is a web picture but I put it in to show how the building looks like a sculpture by Rachel Whiteread
 
Liu  Wei  - Density:
 




 
There were other made of wood and the title describes the work very accurately
 
WE moved on from here to a series of different commercial galleries and I would have to admit that my feet were very sore at this stage and I don't think I was sufficiently receptive; one does stand out though and that was Elisabeth Scherffig' s multi-layered drawings at Faggionato:
 
 
This again  is a web picture due to resistance to photos - of one of her multi-layered intricate imaginary cities  - her work interests me very much as another element of Façade Edge and I will search out more of her work.
Everything after that was a blur - delighted to to get to bed!!!
 
 
 
Next day I took off on my own to move a a different pace but also with different intent. I headed straight to the British Museum and to Room 90 - Prints and Drawings:
 
Coffee first and some drawing
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Room 90 (which, interestingly has the same function in the V & A) is where prints and drawings are exhibited and this was the main show:
 
 
Here are some of the work with some accompanying info:
 
 





 
 
 
 
 
 


 
 
 








 
 
 







The other part of the exhibition was a focus on Picasso's relief printmaking and I have photographed all the displays which I will post for the benefit of aspirant linocut makers - Apologies for the quality of early shots and I couldn't get back to redo them:




 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

The following show the procedure for a reduction print (lots of planning and pre-visualising of colour layers):

 
Sorry about this but it is about the base yellow block
 










 
 
 
 
 
 
 


 

 
 
I wasn't finished yet with the British Museum but more at next post
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment