Patricia Green

Sunday 14 October 2012

The primrose path of dalliance

Guilt is writ large here when I see the date of my last post, and I wouldn't mind but so many times during the day I have thought of points I would like to make and things about which I would like to muse aloud , but ...... no screen or k'board handy ; I'm reminded of the late-lamented Janice Joplin who, when singing of her desire for a  Mercedes-Benz proclaimed:

My friends all drive Porsches, I MUST MAKE AMENDS;

well, no merc but I must make amends.

Before I go back to cover lost ground I must mention something that was on BBC4 -a series of three programmes about the making of the Beatles Magical Mystery Tour, and a complete showing of the film in colour - it was originally shown in b & w; I can remember creating mayhem in my home in Dublin by insisting on watching even though the reception was brutal and everyone else thought it was a load of rubbish.
Looking at it again........... it was an amazing piece of work to have been shown on mainstream television on Stephens' Day at that time (1967) and it is still quite a surprising achievement.


 
Ok- enough of the nostalgia, but the film is still interesting as an art piece.
 
 
The plaster cast was duly completed, cleaned up here, and brought into school where it went through another cleaning.
 
I would have to admit that it did not look quite so stunning as I had expected so a little more thought will be required for this particular branch of the path. I will retrieve it  from the drying cabinet  tomorrow and think about it - possibly a few more casts, but a little smaller and seeking out a less amorphous surface.
Nonetheless, it is what it is and that is an honest record of part of the earth's surface noting the edges that are there. It clould be  a satellite view from on high...........
 
Anyway, the path winds once more, this time in a totally unexpected direction. On Thursday, I met my tutor, Sylvia Shortall, in the library and she felt that I should pursue the image -making I had been doing with pictures of familiar objects and scenes but from odd angles and abstracted from their surroundings. I have shown some of these already but here are a few more:
 
 
 
 
 




 
Just prior to this she had mentioned a shrt animation film from the 1930s called 'A Colour Box' by Len Lye and I had watched this and was fascinated by it. She suggested to me that I might try this with these images. I was a bit stunned because I had never done anything like this before, but nothing loth I have spent the weekend trying this out and I will put in the very first effort. It doesn't amount to much but I just wish to record this because it was the beginning.

................ Ok so I haven't quite mastered uploading videos successfully but I will be back to you on that!

Anyway, it wasn't quite Len Lye, and Martin Scorcese need not feel threatened but I was amazed  as I would never  have seen myself working in this area.
I can see alot of possibilities in this.

Anon
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment