Patricia Green

Wednesday 17 October 2012

Slippery conditions underfoot

Oh how quickly the days roll by! I have become a bit addicted to the making of videos and animation and I am going to try to load a slightly different one in its raw state:


Fine!!?! this is all taking rather longer than I had hoped so I wll leave it alone and go on to other things.
I was looking for something else the other day, first at home here, then in the library at school and in both places a different name came up(the same in each case) and it promptd me to retrieve a volume of the complete works of this artist to peruse. Her work bears on my concept of edge as you will see, but apart from that it gives me great pleasure to see such a wide variety as in real life I have only seen a limited range of her pieces:

This piece is called Nightscape(1959-64) and was typical of the Louise Nevelson (1899-1988) work that I first knew. I loved all the little sharp-edged boxes with their treasure-troves of found wooden objects all soaked in matt-black paint.
Later, she reversed the colour:

 
This was Dawn's Wedding Feast (1959) with the same process in white.
In 1977, New York honoured her by naming a plaza after her and commissioning seven site-specific pieces:
 
 
A wonderful artist.
 



On Tuesday last I was at my first workshop, and this was run in the Ceramics Building By Ciaran Whitelaw. Here are a few pictures:
 



 It was, admittedly just a taste of the process, but it was enough to whet the appetite for a longer contact with the clay.

No comments:

Post a Comment