Patricia Green

Monday 8 October 2012

Narrow, and slippery

Never got to do anymore last night; tsk,tsk

I was looking at a journal in the library today - Modern Painters, Sept 2012 - and I was fascinated to  come across a gallery ad - James Kelly/Contemporary - for a show featuring an artist called Robert Kelly, but apart from  the names which I will come back to, the piece shown

Luchino's Nocturne II -2010
 

has all the look of a hard-edge. That name Kelly just seems to keep appearing - I wonder are the gallery owner and the artist related and are they related to Senior Kelly ( who is now in his 90s -good man Ellesworth!) Anyway the edge is still there.

What have I been doing? Digging in the garden, thats what. No, I havent got a sudden deep yen for horticulture, but I have been working on an area to cast in plaster; I will then bring the cast into school and there are a number of options as to how I will reproduce the surface : texture, material, colour, size. But here are some pictures of the process up to now:

The raw materials
 
The first pour, covered against rain

Too thin
Second pour, but needs another layer
 
I'll come back to this when I have uncoveerd and cleaned the cast.
 
Aptly, the first of our seminars today was on 3D and I was speaking to Elaine Riordan after to explain what I was doing and to get some further pointers. I won't say anything about these yet as there are a number of different routes I might take.
The other sem was on colour and this is an area which particularly interests me because I have always maintained that I loved the electric colours and yet recent works have tended to veer towards muted tones and earth colours. - Have to go contrary to that to see what happens.
 
The other thing I did today was to use a sheet of newsprint to do a charcoal and red chalk rubbing of the surface of the chair-lift outside the studio (FF18). There is a very interesting pattern of lines in the concrete of the unused courtyard and I think I might try the same with those. - So if I'm seen out there I'm not simply trying to be alone.
 
Lines, edges, spaces being separated from one another. When we look at something we see an outline but we know it is a volumeand it is in at least three dimensions, and when we attempt to draw,paint, print it we have been exhorted to suggest these three ds but what surrounds it?
Edge............................paradox?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment