Patricia Green

Saturday 27 April 2013

The path softens

Here we are almost in May - wow! how fast was that year; I thought that in my case it might have something to do with one's particular stage in life but less grizzled contemporaries tell me that it is the same for them.
There was a rtain amount of  anticlimatic feel in the print studio last wednesday after the CCS exam was complted in the morning and the essy hande in to  Kieran in the afternoon.----ooooof!
The exam wasnt as unnerving as everyone expected but doubtless some of us (??!!?) probably weere a little too verbose when answereing the qestion on the controversial painting:

 
But writing about artwork in general is soething I really enjoy. - I just hope the examiner enjoys it too....
Finishing the essay was, as always, somewhat of a relief; this one - Urban Imaginations -was quite challenging, perhaps becauase of the breadthe of the possibilities when approacching and then the constraint of 1000 words. Its a ubject I woudl like to approach again because one of the consequences of the researh for the essay was the number of new books I came in contact with and which I would love to dekve into mre deeply - so much ahead.
 
Anyway back to litho - by tuseday evening I had finished a second print with a lot of help from Des - it was quite a struggle to get a decent print off the stone this time:
This was probably the best -it hasnt got quite the unity of image taht first one had:
 
 
But surprisingly someone instantly recognised them both, that is, where their source was - anyway after thet,I deciced to give litho a rest and regrained the stone - /the image must have been well-etched becuse it needed  nienruns with the coarsest carborundum. I'll defintitely be back there again because I feel I have unfinishd business with stone.
 
I have been thinkung about wher I want to takt he imagery now  and interestingly I feel that I have come to terms a bit with my last life and that maybe I can start to rintroduce my past into my present:
 
 
Maybe bit from the skull too:
 
 
We will be moving over to sceenprint on monday and I am looking forwrd to this because /i can remember Robrt Ballagh doing 'silkscreen' in the 60s and 70s and I  never fully understood what it was .
 
This was how my wall l;oked on Friday when I finished:
 
 
On the outside, things got quite interesting in that I stayeed in a hotel - Kijmurry Lodge - on Thursday night so that I could go to the Third Year Print Show in Raggle Taggle and partake somewhat more in the social side of theings .......... very social.
One interesting consequence was the view off the full moon as it ensconced itself a the top of Williams Street.......... no really, it wasnt just me others saw it too!!
I intend to do a drawing of same.
The show....
 
 
 ...brilliant  and I can only repeat what I said to a number of people (poor people!) that you are only limited by yyour imagination.
Another thing that came to mind was that the boundaries between varioos areas of art are becoming more blurred and yet a show like PrintEd in LSAD gallery which I visited again recently shows that there is a place for the more tradional print show also.
 
After Des' talk yesterday morning I visited 'Recollect' (briefly -dodhgy parking) then went up to see anoher extemely imaginative exhibition:
 
in the Treaty taxi yard
 
 
This is third year Sculpture and Combined Media and I really did like this; a few images
 

 
Celeste Siopa - Celeste Cubero      Invisible Cities - Michlle Perera

 
2191 Memories -Graine Timon (terrible Picture -sorry Grainne; and I particularly liked this)


and a video
 Sink - Ali Kirby
 
 ..These      visirs were tryin to sneak in through a back door:
 
 
and these guys got a little Picasa editing....
 
 
Strata - Kevin O'Shea
 
The same applies here - your imagination is the only limit.
 
During the next few weeks apart from reviewing what has happened I hope to go through a number of the books I have bought and show some images from them and also show some of the work that went into the essay.
 
There is also the unfinished business of The Letters..............I'll be back.
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment